White Lot south of the White House

From Protoball
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Pre-pro Baseball
Magnolia-ball-club.png

Add a Ballgame
Add a Predecessor Game
Add a Field
Add a Club
Add a Player
Add a Game Official

Base Ball Firsts
Add a Base Ball First

About Pre-pro
Waff's Game Tabulation
Bob Tholkes RIM Tabulation

Awaiting Review
Location Washington, DC, United States
Modern Address President's Park
Description

Aka Potomac Grounds, because this was the home grounds of the Potomac Club. Cf the Washington Evening Star, Sept. 12, 1860.

Comment

In 1791, the first plan for the park was drawn up by Pierre (Peter) Charles L'Enfant. The Ellipse was known as "the White Lot" due to the whitewashed wooden fence that enclosed the park.

During the American Civil War, the grounds of the Ellipse and the incomplete Washington Monument were used as corrals for horses, mules, and cattle, and as camp sites for Union troops. In 1860, the Ellipse was the regular playing field for the DC baseball team the Washington Senators and was the site of the first game between the Senators and the Washington Nationals. In 1865, the Nationals hosted a baseball tournament with the Philadelphia Athletics, for which viewing stands were built and admission was charged.

Black baseball teams such as the Washington Mutuals and the Washington Alerts often used the White Lot until Blacks were banned from using the Ellipse in 1874.

Wikipedia, accessed 07/13/2022  (Entered by Gene Draschner)

Edit with form to add a comment
Query Edit with form to add a query
Found by Bruce Allardice
Entered by Bruce Allardice

Clubs

Club Years Edit Association with Field
Alert Club of Washington Prior to 1874 when they were banned from the field.
Mutual Club of Washington Prior to 1874 when they were banned from the field.
National Club of Washington 1861
Potomac Club of Washington 1860

 Add a Club

Games

No games have been posted yet  Add a Ballgame



Comments

<comments voting="Plus" />