|Add a digger|
|Add digger news|
|Special Interest||Early Newspaper Coverage|
|Type of Digger|
|Local-Origins Study Groups|
Essays and Articles
- Bob Tholkes Condenses Key 19CBB Postings in December 2012 by Bob Tholkes
- Postings to 19CBB, Jan. - Feb. 2013 by Bob Tholkes
- 19CBB Digest, March 2013 by Bob Tholkes
- 19CBB Digest, April-May 2013 by Bob Tholkes
- 19CBB Highlights, August September 2013 by Bob Tholkes
- Spirit Letters From X, 1857-8 by Bob Tholkes
- A series of 14 letters to the Spirit of the Times, from "X," October 1857- January 1858
- Length of Games, 1860-1865 1.0 by Bob Tholkes
- How Long Did Games Take 160 Years Ago?
- When The Game Was Not The Thing by Bob Tholkes
- Early Women's Baseball by Bob Tholkes
Submitted Entries: 300
Bob Tholkes to Address Local SABR Chapters
Bob Tholkes will be a presenter at the November meetings of the SABR chapters in Pittsburgh and Providence. The Pittsburgh meeting is focusing on baseball statistics, and Bob will discuss the birth of base ball stats. Last year, Bob made presentations at the Chicago and San Antonio-Austin SABR chapters.
“Not Likely to Flourish,” appearing in Base Ball,volume 6, number 2 (Fall 2012), pp. 22 ff, is [[Bob Tholkes’]] survey of the New York game for the 1862 base ball season. The season began with the sadly mistaken conjecture that the Civil War would end soon enough to save the ballplaying season. Still, 1862 saw William Cammeyer’s historic opening of the enclosed ballfield at the Union Grounds, the June visit of Philadelphia clubs to New Jersey, Brooklyn and games with three NYC clubs at Elysian Fields, and the October death of Excelsior Club great Jim Creighton.
Bob published “’We Hope They Will Not be Disappoint,’” A Survey of the New York Rules Base Ball Season of 1861,” in Base Ball: A Journal of the Early Game, volume 5, number 2 (Fall 2011), pp 5- 12.
Bob Tholkes contributed an essay to the Special Protoball Issue of Base Ball this spring:
"1860 -- The 'Sunday Mercury' Summarizes the 1860 Season." Base Ball. 5(1): 136 - 138.
Bob has founded and is editing Origins, the monthly e-newsletter of the SABR Committee on the Origins of Baseball. Bob also edits The Base Ball Player’s Chronicle, the Vintage Base Ball Association’s three-times-a-year newsletter.